Flights of Faith

Friday, August 25, 2006

An American's Return Home

Note: This is the first thing I wrote a few minutes after I stepped out of my plane from Israel (via Italy). Unedited.

AMERICA!

I’m back, baby.

So good to see black people. I just love blackness right now. The sounds. The looks. The hair. The attitude. The community. It’s all we have. It’s all I have. And I love it.

And the smells. That unique American capitalist smell of a kajillion greasy foods being cooked at the same time. Brilliant. And the insular family communities in our little bubbles. Oh, America. How I’ve secretly missed you. Can’t wait for my first encounter w/ American racism. Even that might bring a smile to my face.

“ELECTRIC CAR” The black lady shouts. I’m moving out the way. Are you? And the largeness. We’re all just a bit bigger. Our egos and our waistline. Brilliant. But we’re smiling and we’re resilient. This whole nation thing is sorta working. (Note: Umm, I blame jetlag on the last sentence. But I did feel that at the time)

And the business calls! At 6ish! (Note: In the evening) STILL trying to make that money. We always are.

The jerseys and the drinks in the hand casually sipping while strutting.

And khakis and business shirts! And the matching denim. American monochromatic outfits at its best.

THE SIDE EYE! THE WHISPERED EXCUSE ME! THE DETERMINING WHICH SIDE WE’LL PASS EACH OTHER FROM 15 FEET AWAY!

In our own little worlds while CNN tries to connect us all…to the screen. Everything working at once. Phones, laptops, iPods, TVs, announcements. All to an appropriated hip-hop beat.

AMERICA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home