Flights of Faith

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Flicks of 2009

I was surprised by how few movies I saw in 2008. When I reviewed the films of the year, I found out many of the ones I saw were simply unmemorable. 2009 is similar.

My first movie of the year was in May: STAR TREK! I wish this was a better movie, but it was fun. I could not stand Kirk's sexism, arrogance, and swagger. J.J. Abrams knows how to get to me though, and I loved the score. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Next up, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Disappointing and cheesy. Tina and I had wanted to see Earth, the Disney nature film, but we got our times mixed up. After ten minutes of the Beyonce horror Obsessed, our consciences forced us to find another movie. Wolverine, it was. Mildly entertained, we were.

After that, I kept the summer tradition and saw Pixar's Up. I loved the movie, and I think it might be my favorite of the year. I still have trouble with the fact that it's about an old dude, a little boy, and a talking dog. However, I just watched the montage sequence towards the beginning of the film, and it is pure wonder.

Transformers was a popcorn requisite. I would have sat out, but my apartment decided to go. The way we got through it? Cheering for Transformers legend references, Megan Fox posing, and Shia saying he wasn't ready. It was a hoot.

Most disappointing film was Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I'll probably watch it again sometime, but I just sighed my way through this film. The Potter series got ordinary the only time it could get away with it...the second to last Potter. I didn't hate it as much as 'Goblet.' At the same time though, 'Goblet' had scenes that beat any reel in HP6...easy.

Ponyo, one of Studio Ghibli's films was pure ridiculousness.

I wrapped up the year with Precious. This movie was an experience, to say the least. Lots to think about after watching it. I'm not sure if my thoughts worked their way out of the pure terrifying experience that is this fim.

I saw the following on airplane videos or on DVD/online: Paul Blart: Mall Cop (WHHHYYYYY?), Inkheart (decent fantasty), and The Soloist (I struggle through it though I admire the effort).

I saw Princess and the Frog yesterday. Disney has a ways to go to get its glory back, but this was a great start.

Movies I missed that I want to see: 500 Days of Summer, Paper Heart, fame, A Serious Man, Where the Wild Things Are, This Is It, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Avatar.

Again, 2010 goal. Write some screenplays! I'm tired of complaining about movies. I want to make them.

3 Comments:

Blogger jglc said...

*Megan Fox?

6:19 AM  
Blogger Joshua said...

Haha. Yeah. I'm so out of the loop.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Ivy said...

You should post bits and pieces of it on here. That's what I hope to do with the novel I want to write.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home